Wasaarada Waxbarashada Hiddaha Iyo Tacliinta Sare
COUNTRY: Federal Republic of Somalia (FRS)
NAME OF PROJECT: Somalia Education for Human Capital Development Project
PROJECT ID: P172434
Grant No.: IDA-D8370
Assignment Title: GBV Specialist
Reference No.: SO-MOECHE-252728-CS-INDV
Place of assignment: Mogadishu Somalia
Submission deadline: 13th December, 2021
The Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) and Federal Member States (FMS) through the Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education has applied for financing from the World Bank towards the cost of Somalia Education for Human Capital Development Project. The project is designed to provide interventions to improve system effectiveness, instructional quality, and learning outcomes across all Federal Member States.
The Project consists of the following four key components: (1) System Building – This component will focus on strengthening systems at the FGS and the FMS levels to implement Somalia Education Sector Strategic Plan (ESSP); (2) Expansion of access to quality schooling for the disadvantaged – This component will help Somalia roll out practical and economical ways to begin to redress the < 20% enrollment rate challenge faced by most districts in Somalia, among the world indicators; (3) Enhanced instruction quality – This component will develop a 2-year Teacher Professional Development Program (TPDP) that will be delivered using a blended learning approach and support 6,000 teachers to complete the program. Activities will include the design, development, testing, refinement and large-scale implementation of the TPDP; and (4) Project Management – Current capacity at all administrative levels, FGS, FMS levels, regional and district levels is weak. The project will finance key project staff at the FGS and FMS levels and consulting services to support the FGS to oversee school construction design, engineering, and supervision and capacity building to support FGS contract management.
The Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education (MoECHE) intends to hire a Consultant (GBV Specialist) to work closely with the various implementing entities and project unit for overall GBV agenda of the project.
B. Scope of Work and Responsibilities:
The PMU GBV Specialist will be responsible for:
- Supporting the inclusion of women in project activities
- Supporting the preparation of the Gender Based Violence (GBV) Action Plan and ensuring its implementation and monitoring of GBV risk management efforts throughout the Project
- Providing technical assistance to the PMUs setting up/improving the project Grievance Redress Mechanisms (GRMs) to ensure it is equipped to handle GBV issues.
- Providing quality assurance of community engagement activities in the project with regards to ensuring women’s participation and voice in project implementation
- Ensuring training is undertaken by all project workers, Codes of Conduct are signed and understood
- Ensuring safe, confidential and survivor-centered response services are available to enable care for any affected parties
C. Selection Criteria:
Selection will be based on qualification and experience of the candidate and followed by an interview. The minimum qualification, experience and skills should include:
- Post-secondary university degree, in social sciences, law, project management, or any other similar discipline;
- At least 5-8 years of overall professional experience.
- At least three years of experience in supervising GBV prevention and response activities;
- At least three years’ experience in conducting awareness campaigns on women’s rights, gender equality, GBV, and / or reproductive health considered an asset;
- Excellent knowledge of the guiding and ethical principles that govern work with survivors of GBV and good practices in the implementation of activities to prevent and address GBV;
- Basic knowledge of the World Bank’s environmental and social safeguard policies.
- Excellent command of Somali and strong ability to write reports.
- Knowledge of an additional language (English) would be an asset; and
- A good command of IT tools (word processing, spreadsheets, Internet and Intranet, etc.).
D. Duration & Duty Station: Twelve (12) months with possibility for extension based on performance and requirement. The duty station is Mogadishu Somalia with travels to the Federal Member States.
The Ministry of Culture and Higher Education (MoECHE) now invites eligible Individual Consultants to indicate their interest in providing these services. Interested Individual Consultants must submit the following: (i) Curriculum Vitae (CV) with 3 reference persons; (ii) copies of certificates of academic qualifications; and (iii) cover letter indicating that they are qualified to perform the services.
The detailed Terms of Reference (TOR) can be found at the following website: www.moe.gov.so or it can be forwarded to the applicant upon submission of application to the address indicated below.
E. The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraphs 3.14 and 3.21 of the World Bank’s Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers: Procurement in Investment Financing Goods, Works, Non-Consulting and Consulting Services dated July 2016 and current edition (“Procurement Regulations”) setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest and eligibility.
F. A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consultants selection method set out in the “Procurement Regulations”.
G. Mode of submission of Applications and deadline:
Interested Consultants may obtain further information at the address given below from 8:30 to 3.30pm Mogadishu time (Excluding public holidays).
The Expressions of interest (EOI), CV with 3 reference persons and certificates of academic qualifications must be delivered (in person or by e-mail) in a written form (if not by e-mail) to the address below by 13th December 2021 at 12:00 Hours (Mogadishu Time) – marked clearly as “GBV Specialist – Education for Human Capital Development Project”.
NB: Female Candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Human Capital Development Project Unit (HCDPU)
Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education
Zoope Area, Mogadishu
Federal Republic of Somalia