HR and Administration Technical Advisor – Terms of Reference (ToR)
|I. General Information|
- Post/Title: HR and Administration Technical Advisor – Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education and State MOEs
- Department: Human Resource Department –Federal Ministry of Education, Culture & Higher Education (MOECHE) and State MOEs
- Project title: Recurrent Cost and Reform Financing Project II (RCRF II)
- Reporting Lines; RCRF Education Coordinator
- Key Contacts: Ministry leadership (Director General), Director of Human Resource, Technical Advisors (, MoECHE RCRF Education Coordinator, Federal Member States Ministries of Education (Jubaland, South West, Hirshabelle, Galmudug and Banaadir Regional Administration).
|II. Background Information|
The Development Objective of the RCRF II project (“Project”), as restructured in 2018, is to support the Federal Government of Somalia and eligible Federal Member States to strengthen resource management systems, the inter-governmental fiscal framework, and service delivery system in education.
In conjunction with the Project restructuring, additional financing (AF) has been provided. The restructured project builds on the experience and successes of the parent project, RCRF II, and is designed to address fiscal constraints, sustain the reform effort over the next three years, and increase the emphasis on education service delivery.
Ministries of Education are the Federal and State level lead agencies of the education sector and its mandated to ensure that citizens at State and federal level has easy access to quality educational services in an affordable, sustainable and safe manner this contributes to the nationwide similar mandate of the Federal Ministry of Education. Without a functioning State MoE level’s sound finance, procurement, HR and project management practices this mandate cannot be achieved. Several capacity assessments on the Federal/State MoEs identified major gaps in those areas that need to be fulfilled.
One of the major gaps identified was qualified personal to undertake these duties or to implement national and state level acts, policies and procedures in regard to these areas.
The RCRF project aim to fill this critical gap by hiring a HR and Administration Technical Advisor for a period of 6 months.
This TOR has been developed as a guidance for the objectives, scope, timing and deliverables of performing the HR and Administration Technical Advisor services for the Ministry of Education.
|III. Position Summary|
The Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education (MoECHE) is seeking to recruit a Technical Advisor – HR and Administration to support building the capacity of the Ministry. The incumbent will also support the work of the RCRF Project. He/she will work very closely with the Ministries of Education of the Federal Government of Somalia, Jubaland State of Somalia, Galmudug, Hirshabelle and South West States of Somalia. Reporting to the DG and RCRF education coordinator, He/she will provide support in Human Resources Management as well as day to day office administration for Ministry. The incumbent will provide expertise in developing the policies and other related tools to ensure optimal performance in the relevant units
|IV. Key responsibilities|
- Developing new HR policies and strategies to address emerging workforce issues
- Managing the process of local staff and consultant recruitment; preparing job descriptions and scopes of work, announcing positions, shortlisting candidates, conducting reference checks, preparing employment contracts and consultant agreements, etc. and Manage employment contracts and renewals.
- Assists the Finance and accounting TA in preparing the budget request for the human resource office
- Support the development and implementation of a staffing plan.
- Ensure that all HR forms are accurately completed by newly hired staff
- Liaise with line managers to ensure the performance of staff
- Coordinate confirmations of probationary periods.
- Prepare employee termination notices and related documentation and conducts exit interviews to determine reasons behind terminations.
- Coordinate exit management procedure to ensure a seamless and positive transition for departing employees
- Advise department managers of the Ministry HR policies regarding equal employment opportunities, compensation and employment benefits.
- Coordinate management training and advice department managers as necessary in all HR policies and procedures including contracts, benefits, interviewing, hiring, terminations, promotions, performance review, safety, and sexual harassment.
- Advise and coordinate with managers on appropriate resolution of employee relations issues and/or disciplinary action.
- Respond to inquiries regarding policies, procedures, and programs.
- Manage and administer benefits programs such as medical insurance, vacation, sick leave, leave of absence and other related benefits.
- Collect, review and submit timesheets to the Finance department on a monthly basis and Coordinate payrolls issues with Finance department.
- Collect, review and submit attendance summary to the Finance department on every 25th of month.
- Keep records of benefits plans participation such as pension plan, personnel transactions such as hires, promotions, transfers, performance reviews, and terminations, and employee statistics and Oversee the analysis, maintenance, and communication of records required by law or local governing bodies, or other departments in the organization.
- Perform and supervise general office activities, such as greeting visitors, filing, photocopying, faxing, processing outgoing and incoming mail, routing and screening all incoming calls, and distributing messages to appropriate team members.
- Provide or oversee centralized operations and procedures of services for the agency
- Plan and coordinate staff development and monthly agency-wide staff meetings.
- Maintain and safeguard agency records.
- Develop and implement administrative processes including internal controls Monthly and quarterly administrative reports in line with established compliance standards.
- Review of all administrative components of all financial transaction documents before project commitments and payments are made.
- Set up and management of project administrative file documentation system in the office, including supporting same for partners.
- Update Office fixed asset and stock inventories systems and register
- Lead vehicle management policy and ensure compliance
- Support preparation of service contracts and ensure all policy documents for Plan International are included
- Support Safety and Security Manager the development
- Lead travel arrangements, visa, permits, alien registration for staff and visitors
- Facilitate reviewing and the development of operational forms
- Provide support through coaching, mentoring and training opportunities to departmental staff to enable them meet challenging performance
The TA – HR and Administration will report directly to the DG and RCRF Education coordinator –Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education.
|VI. Key Qualifications|
- Master’s degree in Human Resources Management, or Business Administration or in a relevant field;
- Minimum of seven years’ experience working in busy HR and Admin office
- Experience working in Somalia or in the Horn of Africa and a good understanding of sound programming principles;
- Experience in management and liaise with
- experience in HR and operational management of governmental offices;
- Knowledge of World Bank, EU, UN, GPE and other donors programmatic and HR regulations;
- Experience in managing and mentoring staff and promoting teamwork;
- Good interpersonal and cross-cultural skills;
- Facilitation and training skills including development of training materials and facilitation of participatory program development and capacity building
- Excellent verbal and written English skills, particularly communication and presentation skills for diverse audiences
- Ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relationships with ministries of Education both federal and states, donors and other development partners
- Computer proficiency (including word processing, spreadsheets)
- Experience in the design and use of HR systems
- Willingness and experience to work independently in politically unstable security situations in security sensitive areas; Knowledge of Somalia, its’ culture and political
|VII. Core Values & Critical Key Competencies|
Respect, Integrity, Commitment, Diversity, Stress Tolerance, communicating with Impact, Excellence and Building Partnerships.
|VII. How to Apply|
Interested candidates are requested to apply online by clicking and following the link below not later than August 11, 2020.