Internal Audit Technical Advisor – Terms of Reference (ToR)
|I. General Information|
- Post/Title: internal Audit Technical Advisor – Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education
- Department: Admin & Finance Department –Federal Ministry of Education, Culture & Higher Education (MOECHE) and State MOEs
- Project title: Recurrent Cost and Reform Financing Project II ( RCRF II )
- Reporting Lines; RCRF Education Coordinator
- Key Contacts: Ministry leadership (Director General), Director of Admin & Finance, Technical Advisors (, MoECHE RCRF Education Coordinator, Federal Member States Ministries of Education (Jubaland, South West, Hirshabelle, Galmudug and Banadir Regional Administration).
|II. Background Information|
The Development Objective of the RCRF II project (“Project”), as restructured in 2018, is to support the Federal Government of Somalia and eligible Federal Member States to strengthen resource management systems, the inter-governmental fiscal framework, and service delivery system in education.
In conjunction with the Project restructuring, additional financing (AF) has been provided. The restructured project builds on the experience and successes of the parent project, RCRF II, and is designed to address fiscal constraints, sustain the reform effort over the next three years, and increase the emphasis on education service delivery.
Ministries of Education are the Federal and State level lead agencies of the education sector and its mandated to ensure that citizens at State and federal level has easy access to quality educational services in an affordable, sustainable and safe manner this contributes to the nationwide similar mandate of the Federal Ministry of Education. Without a functioning State MoE level’s sound finance, procurement, HR and project management practices this mandate cannot be achieved. Several capacity assessments on the Federal/State MoEs identified major gaps in those areas that need to be fulfilled.
One of the major gaps identified was qualified personal to undertake these duties or to implement national and state level acts, policies and procedures in regard to these areas.
The RCRF project aim to fill this critical gap by hiring a Technical Advisor – Internal Audit for a period of 6 months.
This TOR has been developed as a guidance for the objectives, scope, timing and deliverables of performing the Technical Advisor – Internal Audit services for the Ministry of Education.
|III. Position Summary|
The Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education (MoECHE) is seeking to recruit a Technical Advisor – Procurement to support building the capacity of the Ministry. The incumbent will also support the work of the RCRF Project. He/she will work very closely with the Ministries of Education of the Federal Government of Somalia, Jubaland State of Somalia, Galmudug, Hirshabelle and South West States of Somalia. Reporting to the DG and RCRF education coordinator, He/she will provide an innovative, responsive and effective value adding Internal Audit Services by assisting the Ministry leadership in evaluating and recommending improvements in the effectiveness of enterprise risk Management, internal control systems and corporate governance.
|IV. Key responsibilities|
- Establish policies and procedures as appropriate to guide the Internal Audit Department.
- Support developing clear segregation of duties and delegation of Authorities in Federal ministry of Education and State MOEs.
- Commit Monthly, quarterly and annual internal audits for the Ministry financial documents.
- Produce efficient Audit reports and recommendations to the management.
- Maintain Audit Charter, establish the Audit Committee reporting strategy, facilitate the formalization of the Audit Committee, and lead preparations on reporting.
- Provide support to resolve internal control deficiencies and monitor remediation plans with management.
- Manage the development and implementation of systems, tools and processes required to support the Internal Audit
- Establish and manage a risk-based approach audit program, objectives and strategy.
- Plan audit engagements, review and approve audit work plans, streamline testing procedures, and consolidate reporting and present analysis to the board of Directors
- Serve as primary liaison with external auditors in planning, organizing, and executing on-site audits.
- Present audit findings to management and provide practical recommendations for improvement and actively monitor audit related remediation and management action plans
- Be a key influencer of operational efficiency and well controlled change management
- Provide support through coaching, mentoring and training opportunities to departmental staff to enable them meet challenging performance
The TA – internal Audit will report directly to the DG and RCRF Education coordinator –Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education.
|VI. Key Qualifications|
- Master’s degree in business or Finance/accountancy/ Auditing or in a relevant field;
- External certifications such as Certified Public Accountant (CPA) Authorized Chartered certified accountant (ACCA) or Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) is highly desirable.
- A minimum of Seven years of work experience in Finance and Accounting, three of them in a similar audit role.
- Strong background and experience with audit methodologies and techniques and thorough knowledge of regulatory requirements
- Possess good investigation and probing skills
- Excellent analytical skills for identifying control issues
- Experience in management and liaise with
- experience in HR and operational management of governmental offices;
- Knowledge of World Bank, EU, UN, GPE and other donors programmatic and HR regulations;
- Experience in managing and mentoring staff and promoting teamwork;
- Good interpersonal and cross-cultural skills;
- Facilitation and training skills including development of training materials and facilitation of participatory program development and capacity building
- Excellent verbal and written English skills, particularly communication and presentation skills for diverse audiences
- Ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relationships with ministries of Education both federal and states, donors and other development partners
- Computer proficiency (including word processing, spreadsheets)
- Experience in the design and use of procurement and Finance systems
- Willingness and experience to work independently in politically unstable security situations in security sensitive areas; Knowledge of Somalia, its’ culture and political
|VII. Core Values & Critical Key Competencies|
Respect, Integrity, Commitment, Diversity, Stress Tolerance, communicating with Impact, Excellence and Building Partnerships.
|VII. How to Apply|
Interested candidates are requested to apply online by clicking and following the link below not later than August 11, 2020.