Procurement Technical Advisor – Terms of Reference (ToR)
|I. General Information|
- Post/Title: Procurement Technical Advisor – Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education
- Department: Admin & Finance Department –Federal Ministry of Education, Culture & Higher Education (MOECHE) and State MOEs.
- Project title: Recurrent Cost and Reform Financing Project II ( RCRF II )
- Reporting Lines; RCRF Education Coordinator
- Key Contacts: Ministry leadership (Director General), Director of Admin & Finance, Technical Advisors (, MoECHE RCRF Education Coordinator, Federal Member States Ministries of Education (Jubaland, South West, Hirshabelle, Galmudug and Banaadir Regional Administration).
|II. Background Information|
The Development Objective of the RCRF II project (“Project”), as restructured in 2018, is to support the Federal Government of Somalia and eligible Federal Member States to strengthen resource management systems, the inter-governmental fiscal framework, and service delivery system in education.
In conjunction with the Project restructuring, additional financing (AF) has been provided. The restructured project builds on the experience and successes of the parent project, RCRF II, and is designed to address fiscal constraints, sustain the reform effort over the next three years, and increase the emphasis on education service delivery.
Ministries of Education are the Federal and State level lead agencies of the education sector and its mandated to ensure that citizens at State and federal level has easy access to quality educational services in an affordable, sustainable and safe manner this contributes to the nationwide similar mandate of the Federal Ministry of Education. Without a functioning State MoE level’s sound finance, procurement, HR and project management practices this mandate cannot be achieved. Several capacity assessments on the Federal/State MoEs identified major gaps in those areas that need to be fulfilled.
One of the major gaps identified was qualified personal to undertake these duties or to implement national and state level acts, policies and procedures in regard to these areas.
The RCRF project aim to fill this critical gap by hiring a Technical Advisor – Procurement for a period of 6 months.
This TOR has been developed as a guidance for the objectives, scope, timing and deliverables of performing the Technical Advisor – Procurement services for the Ministry of Education.
|III. Position Summary|
The Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education (MoECHE) is seeking to recruit a Technical Advisor – Procurement to support building the capacity of the Ministry. The incumbent will also support the work of the RCRF Project. He/she will work very closely with the Ministries of Education of the Federal Government of Somalia, Jubaland State of Somalia, Galmudug, Hirshabelle and South West States of Somalia. Reporting to the DG and RCRF education coordinator, He/she will support the Ministry of Education to assist with, and advice on, the planning, scheduling, initiating, monitoring and quality assurance of all procurement and contract activities.
|IV. Key responsibilities|
- Formulation, implementation and monitoring of the policies, protocols and operating procedures and manuals
- Supervise activities and work relating to procurement, supply for the programs including specifications, quotes, orders, packaging, storage and transportation of supplies and administer on-line purchasing systems
- Undertake Due Diligence checks (supplier references, site visits, historical data and anti-terrorism compliance) for Authorized Suppliers and Contracted
- Effect detailed vetting of procurement documents for Supplies, Services or Works tenders
- Assist the Department and Contracting Authorities to answer any clarifications that may arise during the tendering period and evaluation
- Review/assist in the selection of members of staff to sit on the Evaluation Committees.
- Attend during Tender Opening Sessions and other pertinent assignments in order to ensure that all the stipulated regulations are adhered to
- provide assistance to the Contracting Authorities throughout the public procurement cycle, including the preparation of procurement documents and act as a Chairperson within the evaluation process
- Liaise with relevant stakeholders including procurement officers to ensure timely processing of procurement requests and delivery to the required destinations while complying with the laid down procurement procedures and donor regulations
- Liaison with the Stores and Distribution Management to review stocks for handling alternative ordering and reordering purposes to avoid overstocking and expiries
- Responsible to study consumption records and inventory levels to manage the process efficiently and effectively together with forecasting patterns
- Provide support through coaching, mentoring and training opportunities to departmental staff to enable them meet challenging performance
The TA – Procurement will report directly to the DG and RCRF Education coordinator –Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education.
|VI. Key Qualifications|
- Master’s degree in Procurement, Logistics and Supply chain management or in a relevant field;
- Minimum of seven years’ experience working in busy procurement office
- Experience working in Somalia or in the Horn of Africa and a good understanding of sound programming principles;
- Experience in management of Grants & contracts with different
- experience in Procurement and operational management of governmental offices;
- Knowledge of World Bank, EU, UN, GPE and other donors programmatic and Procurement regulations;
- Experience in management of compliance and fraud
- Experience in managing and mentoring staff and promoting teamwork;
- Good interpersonal and cross-cultural skills;
- Facilitation and training skills including development of training materials and facilitation of participatory program development and capacity building
- Excellent verbal and written English skills, particularly communication and presentation skills for diverse audiences
- Ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relationships with ministries of Education both federal and states, donors and other development partners
- Computer proficiency (including word processing, spreadsheets)
- Experience in the design and use of procurement systems
- Willingness and experience to work independently in politically unstable security situations in security sensitive areas; Knowledge of Somalia, its’ culture and political
|VII. Core Values & Critical Key Competencies|
Respect, Integrity, Commitment, Diversity, Stress Tolerance, communicating with Impact, Excellence and Building Partnerships.
|VII. How to Apply|
Interested candidates are requested to apply online by clicking and following the link below not later than August 11, 2020.