Wasaarada Waxbarashada Hiddaha Iyo Tacliinta Sare
Federal Government of Somalia
Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education
Somalia Education for Human Capital Development Project
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST (REOI)
COUNTRY: Federal Republic of Somalia (FRS)
NAME OF PROJECT: Somalia Education for Human Capital Development Project
PROJECT ID: P172434 Grant No.: IDA-D8370
Assignment Title: Financial Management Specialist
Reference No.: SO-MOECHE-252706-CS-INDV
Place of assignment: Mogadishu Somalia
Submission deadline: 24 October, 2021
The Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) and Federal Member States (FMS) through the Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education has applied for financing from the World Bank towards the cost of Somalia Education for Human Capital Development Project. The project is designed to provide interventions to improve system effectiveness, instructional quality, and learning outcomes across all Federal Member States.
The Project consists of the following four key components: (1) System Building – This component will focus on strengthening systems at the FGS and the FMS levels to implement Somalia Education Sector Strategic Plan (ESSP); (2) Expansion of access to quality schooling for the disadvantaged – This component will help Somalia roll out practical and economical ways to begin to redress the < 20% enrollment rate challenge faced by most districts in Somalia, among the world indicators; (3) Enhanced instruction quality – This component will develop a 2-year Teacher Professional Development Program (TPDP) that will be delivered using a blended learning approach and support 6,000 teachers to complete the program. Activities will include the design, development, testing, refinement and large-scale implementation of the TPDP; and (4) Project Management – Current capacity at all administrative levels, FGS, FMS levels, regional and district levels is weak. The project will finance key project staff at the FGS and FMS levels and consulting services to support the FGS to oversee school construction design, engineering, and supervision and capacity building to support FGS contract management.
The Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education (MoECHE) intends to hire a Consultant (Financial Management Specialist) to work closely with the various implementing entities and project unit for overall financial management of the project.
- Scope of Work and Responsibilities:
The Financial Management Specialist (“Consultant Project FMS”) will ensure accountability for and efficient use of project funds. He/she will be in charge of managing and monitoring requests for financial resources and ensure accuracy and reliability of financial reports and will also process requisitions, purchase orders and payment requests, and funds withdrawal requests from the MoF, and ensure monthly delivery updates to the Project Manager on financial delivery performance.
Under the leadership of the PIU Manager, the specific duties of the Financial Management Specialist will include:
- Carry out financial management training needs analysis across the implementing MDAs, FMSs and develop a capacity development and training plan.
- Maintain all accounting records in line with approved accounting standards and in line with the World Bank’s and Government’s regulations;
- Render periodic reports, (i.e. monthly/quarterly/annually) in the formats approved by the World Bank and FGS and in line with the project documents and financing agreement;
- Ensure that disbursements are made in accordance with approved annual budgets and work plans together with the Project management;
- Ensure that all payments are done in accordance with good accounting practices and in line with the project objectives and financing agreement;
- Where applicable, ensure that the required World Bank No Objection letters relating to an expenditure is available before effecting payment;
- Ensure prompt release of funds once approved to beneficiaries;
- Ensure that required accounting and submissions of returns by beneficiaries who receive advances are fully supported, complete, accurate and timely;
- Maintain relevant books and records for the Project that reflects the components and activities;
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations for the project bank accounts, including designated and project accounts
- Prepare Unaudited Quarterly Financial Reports (IFRs) and Annual Financial Statements for all Project Funds are prepared and analyzed according to the categories and project components as appropriate, and provide timely reporting of any material variances;
- Liaise with the external auditors in carrying out the annual audits of the project;
- Together with the implementing agencies ensure strict adherence to installed internal control systems for all areas of project operation;
- Together with the implementing partners, ensure that the workplan and annual budget is consolidated and that the total annual budget is reflected in the annual appropriations bill.
- Follow up on “No Objection” from the Procurement Specialist where not available and ensure they are properly filed as part of the accounting records;
- Ensure that no project category/component is overspent without proper authorization from the World Bank.
- Selection Criteria:
Selection will be based on qualification and experience of the candidate and followed by an interview. The minimum qualification, experience and skills should include:
- Degree in accounting, finance, statistics or business administration (accounting);
- Professional qualification in financial management, registered by and attained final qualification of any financial management related recognized professional body e.g. CIPFA IPFM, ACCA, CPA etc;
- At least 5 years of experience in audit or financial management;
- Preferably at least 2 years of post-qualification experience in financial management directly relevant to public sector and/or international development organization;
- Experience of project financial management in a developing country; experience in a fragile state is preferable;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English, to deliver technical financial documents, and reports; candidates familiar with Somali language will have an added advantage;
- Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Office tools (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and Internet use, including database use is required, working experience of IFMIS will be an added advantage
- Duration & Duty Station: Twelve (12) months with possibility for extension based on performance and requirement. The duty station is Mogadishu Somalia with travels to the Federal Member States.
- The Ministry of Culture and Higher Education (MoECHE) now invites eligible Individual Consultants to indicate their interest in providing these services. Interested Individual Consultants must submit the following: (i) Curriculum Vitae (CV) with 3 reference persons; (ii) copies of certificates of academic qualifications; and (iii) cover letter indicating that they are qualified to perform the services.
The detailed Terms of Reference (TOR) can be found at the following website: www.moe.gov.so or it can be forwarded to the applicant upon submission of application to the address indicated below.
- The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraphs 3.14 and 3.21 of the World Bank’s Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers: Procurement in Investment Financing Goods, Works, Non-Consulting and Consulting Services dated July 2016 and current edition (“Procurement Regulations”) setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest and eligibility.
- A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consultants selection method set out in the “Procurement Regulations”.
- Mode of submission of Applications and deadline:
Interested Consultants may obtain further information at the address given below from 8:30 to 3.30pm Mogadishu time (Excluding public holidays).
The Expressions of interest (EOI), CV with 3 reference persons and certificates of academic qualifications must be delivered (in person or by e-mail) in a written form (if not by e-mail) to the address below by 24th October 2021 at 12:00 Hours (Mogadishu Time) – marked clearly as “Financial Management Specialist – Education for Human Capital Development Project”.
Human Capital Development Project Unit (HCDPU)
Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education
Zoope Area, Mogadishu
Federal Republic of Somalia