Website Wasaarada Waxbarashada Hiddaha Iyo Tacliinta Sare
Wasaarada Waxbarashada Hiddaha Iyo Tacliinta Sare
Federal Government of Somalia
Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education
Somalia Education for Human Capital Development Project
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST (REOI)
COUNTRY: Federal Republic of Somalia (FRS)
NAME OF PROJECT: Somalia Education for Human Capital Development Project
PROJECT ID: P172434 Grant No.: IDA-D8370
Assignment Title: Project Manager
Reference No.: MOECHE-252699-CS-INDV
Place of assignment: Mogadishu Somalia
Submission deadline: 30th September, 2021
The Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) and Federal Member States (FMS) through the Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education has applied for financing from the World Bank towards the cost of Somalia Education for Human Capital Development Project. The project is designed to provide interventions to improve system effectiveness, instructional quality, and learning outcomes across all Federal Member States.
The Project consists of the following four key components: (1) System Building – This component will focus on strengthening systems at the FGS and the FMS levels to implement Somalia Education Sector Strategic Plan (ESSP); (2) Expansion of access to quality schooling for the disadvantaged – This component will help Somalia roll out practical and economical ways to begin to redress the < 20% enrollment rate challenge faced by most districts in Somalia, among the world indicators; (3) Enhanced instruction quality – This component will develop a 2-year Teacher Professional Development Program (TPDP) that will be delivered using a blended learning approach and support 6,000 teachers to complete the program. Activities will include the design, development, testing, refinement and large-scale implementation of the TPDP; and (4) Project Management – Current capacity at all administrative levels, FGS, FMS levels, regional and district levels is weak. The project will finance key project staff at the FGS and FMS levels and consulting services to support the FGS to oversee school construction design, engineering, and supervision and capacity building to support FGS contract management.
The Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education (MoECHE) intends to hire a Consultant (Project Manager) to work closely with the various implementing entities and project unit for overall management of the project.
- Scope of Work and Responsibilities:
The Project Manager (“Consultant”) will manage and oversee the day-day implementation of the project activities and closely work with the various implementing agencies and Project Management Unit (PMU). The Consultant will perform the following specific duties:
- Oversee the administrative, strategic, fiduciary, safeguards, and the technical aspect of the project.
- Lead the PMU team for the successful delivery of the project, ensuring appropriate resourcing, on-time delivery of financial and key milestone reports to the Bank and counterparts.
- Provide regular updates to the Project Steering Committee on project progress and challenges.
- Lead the implementation of the project according to the project design parameters outlined in the PAD, including all environmental, and social risk mitigation.
- Prepare and provide timely progress, financial, procurement, safeguards and other relevant reports to WB, FGS and FMS Ministries of Education, and other relevant government entities.
- Coordinate project activities with other development partners
- Work closely with implementing state ministries of education, providing oversight over their performance, and serve as the focal point for the project both internally and externally.
- Provide policy support to FGS and FMS MoECHE, as relates to the operationalizing of the Project and the associated support under the Project.
- Provide advice and support in the establishment and staffing of the PMU, supervising the work of the key members of the PMU.
- Lead and coordinate the preparation of the project safeguards instruments, ensuring that the project implementation is in compliance with World Bank Environment and Social Framework (ESF) and as outlined in the World Bank Environmental and Social Commitment Plan (ESCP).
- Lead and coordinate the implementation of the agreed measures and actions towards environment and social risk management, in accordance with the ESF and as outlined in the ESCP and other relevant environmental and social instruments (SMP, SEP and LMP).
- Initiate, commission and coordinate training and capacity building of the relevant task team members and FMS implementing units on obligations under the ESCP, including awareness and accountability on GBV and ESIRT.
- Initiate and coordinate the preparation of annual work plans of the various implementing agencies based on a standardized format.
- Coordinate the preparation, monitoring and reporting on the execution of the overall procurement plan of the project.
- Prepare implementation support missions and take lead in executing the agreements reached.
- Conduct, commission, and/or coordinate monitoring and evaluation activities of the project, preparing periodic Project Status Report (PSR) for review by the World Bank Task Team.
- Carry out other functions related to the project that will, from time to time, be agreed upon between the FGS and the World Bank Task Team.
- Selection Criteria:
Selection will be based on qualification and experience of the candidate and followed by an interview. The minimum qualification, experience and skills should include:
- MA in Education related areas, Education Policy, Public Administration, Education Policy and Planning, or other relevant social sciences.
- At least 10 years of work experience preferably in all levels of the education sector, in particular in the areas of education policy development, capacity building of ministries of education staff, coordination, development of education strategic plans, education decentralization and development of sub-sector policies, etc.
- Extensive experience and knowledge in post-and-pre-civil war Somalia education systems and reform.
- Prior experience working with the Federal and State Ministries is highly preferable.
- Experience in working with the international development partners and other non-state education providers.
- Extensive long-term experience in working in hardship environment
- Prior experience working with the Federal and State Ministries of Education is highly preferably.
- Knowledge on Word Bank Operations in Somalia will be considered as a plus.
- Fluency in English and Somali.
- Strong writing and organizational skills in English, a team player, and effective action oriented.
- Willingness to travel and work in Somalia (across all the regions of Somalia)
- Duration & Duty Station: Twelve (12) months with possibility for extension based on performance and requirement. The duty station is Mogadishu Somalia with travels to the Federal Member States.
- The Ministry of Culture and Higher Education (MoECHE) now invites eligible Individual Consultants to indicate their interest in providing these services. Interested Individual Consultants must submit the following: (i) Curriculum Vitae (CV) with 3 reference persons; (ii) copies of certificates of academic qualifications; and (iii) cover letter indicating that they are qualified to perform the services.
The detailed Terms of Reference (TOR) can be found at the following website: www.moe.gov.so or it can be forwarded to the applicant upon submission of application to the address indicated below.
- The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraphs 3.14 and 3.21 of the World Bank’s Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers: Procurement in Investment Financing Goods, Works, Non-Consulting and Consulting Services dated July 2016 and current edition (“Procurement Regulations”) setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest and eligibility.
- A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consultants selection method set out in the “Procurement Regulations”.
- Mode of submission of Applications and deadline:
Interested Consultants may obtain further information at the address given below from 8:30 to 3.30pm Mogadishu time (Excluding public holidays).
The Expressions of interest (EOI), CV with 3 reference persons and certificates of academic qualifications must be delivered (in person or by e-mail) in a written form (if not by e-mail) to the address below by 30th September 2021 at 12:00 Hours (Mogadishu Time) – marked clearly as “Project Manager – Education for Human Capital Development Project”.
Human Capital Development Project Unit (HCDPU)
Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education
Zoope Area, Mogadishu
Federal Republic of Somalia