Website Wasaarada Waxbarashada Hiddaha Iyo Tacliinta Sare
Wasaarada Waxbarashada Hiddaha Iyo Tacliinta Sare
Federal Government of Somalia
Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education
Somalia Education for Human Capital Development Project
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST (REOI)
COUNTRY: Federal Republic of Somalia (FRS)
NAME OF PROJECT: Somalia Education for Human Capital Development Project
PROJECT ID: P172434 Grant No.: IDA-D8370
Assignment Title: Senior Social Safeguards Specialist
Reference No.: SO-MOECHE-252721-CS-INDV
Place of assignment: Mogadishu Somalia
Submission deadline: 1st October, 2021
The Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) and Federal Member States (FMS) through the Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education has applied for financing from the World Bank towards the cost of Somalia Education for Human Capital Development Project. The project is designed to provide interventions to improve system effectiveness, instructional quality, and learning outcomes across all Federal Member States.
The Project consists of the following four key components: (1) System Building – This component will focus on strengthening systems at the FGS and the FMS levels to implement Somalia Education Sector Strategic Plan (ESSP); (2) Expansion of access to quality schooling for the disadvantaged – This component will help Somalia roll out practical and economical ways to begin to redress the < 20% enrollment rate challenge faced by most districts in Somalia, among the world indicators; (3) Enhanced instruction quality – This component will develop a 2-year Teacher Professional Development Program (TPDP) that will be delivered using a blended learning approach and support 6,000 teachers to complete the program. Activities will include the design, development, testing, refinement and large-scale implementation of the TPDP; and (4) Project Management – Current capacity at all administrative levels, FGS, FMS levels, regional and district levels is weak. The project will finance key project staff at the FGS and FMS levels and consulting services to support the FGS to oversee school construction design, engineering, and supervision and capacity building to support FGS contract management.
The Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education (MoECHE) intends to hire a Consultant (Social Safeguards Specialist) to work closely with the various implementing entities and project unit.
Scope of Work and Responsibilities:
The senior social safeguards specialist will be the main focal point for the implementation of the social risk management of the Project and will provide technical expertise and capacity building support to social risk management at FGS and FMS levels.
Under the leadership of the Project Manager, the duties of the Senior Social Safeguards Specialist will include:
- Working in close collaboration with the environmental specialist develop mechanisms, modalities and timelines and ensure timely implementation of the safeguard’s instruments: SEP, LMP, RPF, ESMF and ESCP, in line with the World Bank’s ESF.
- Update and seek clearance of the social instruments as necessary.
- Provide guidance and templates for all SRM processes, monitoring and reporting
- Review and monitor the performance of the project on social risk management and ensure necessary follow-up actions to ensure compliance;
- Ensure that the project design, specifications and budget adequately reflect the recommendations of the ESF instruments;
- Ensure that ESMPs (C-ESMPs) and summary social safeguards reports are developed according to WB guidance, consulted upon and cleared by the World Bank before any activities take place.
- Build the capacity of and guide social specialists at FMS level in social risk management and the ESF requirements and promote synergy and coordination across government.
- Ensure close supervision and monitoring of contractors for the timely and efficient implementation of the C-ESMPs and all other social safeguard measures.
- Promote inclusivity, transparency, accountability and gender equity throughout the project and ensure that social concerns and suggestions are incorporated and implemented in the project.
- Develop the structures and oversee the functioning of a grievance redress mechanism for the project, and ensure that it is accessible to all stakeholders including community members served by the projects especially disadvantaged groups and act as the grievance focal point at FGS level for the project.
- Work closely with the GBV Specialist on the implementation of the SEAH prevention and response plan and management and training of the FMS social/GBV specialists.
- Provide quarterly reports to the PMU and the WB social safeguards specialist on the implementation of all safeguards instruments and functioning of the GRM.
- In undertaking the assignment, the senior social safeguard specialist will work closely and collaborate with the Technical Team of the World Bank, the PIU, PMTs, relevant line Ministries and Agencies, and the Federal and State Ministries of Education.
Selection will be based on qualification and experience of the candidate and followed by an interview. The minimum qualification, experience and skills should include:
- A degree in sociology, anthropology or community development, or gender.
- At minimum, seven (7) years community development experience in Somalia, in different regions of FGS including at least some experience of each of:
- promoting inclusion of vulnerable and disadvantaged groups including minority groups, IDPs, women and people living with disabilities;
- community engagement and participatory approaches;
- conflict mitigation and peacebuilding;
- fair and equitable labour management;
- Trusted and functional complaints mechanisms.
- Excellent English and Somali written and verbal skills.
- Excellent understanding and demonstrable commitment to social inclusion, conflict mitigation, labour management, gender and GBV, stakeholder engagement and participatory development.
- Familiarity with the World Bank’s environmental and social framework and commitment and passion to develop their and other skills in social risk management.
- Duration & Duty Station: Twelve (12) months with possibility for extension based on performance and requirement. The duty station is Mogadishu Somalia with travels to the Federal Member States.
- The Ministry of Culture and Higher Education (MoECHE) now invites eligible Individual Consultants to indicate their interest in providing these services. Interested Individual Consultants must submit the following: (i) Curriculum Vitae (CV) with 3 reference persons; (ii) copies of certificates of academic qualifications; and (iii) cover letter indicating that they are qualified to perform the services.
The detailed Terms of Reference (TOR) can be found at the following website: www.moe.gov.so or it can be forwarded to the applicant upon submission of application to the address indicated below.
- The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraphs 3.14 and 3.21 of the World Bank’s Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers: Procurement in Investment Financing Goods, Works, Non-Consulting and Consulting Services dated July 2016 and current edition (“Procurement Regulations”) setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest and eligibility.
- A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consultants selection method set out in the “Procurement Regulations”.
- Mode of submission of Applications and deadline:
Interested Consultants may obtain further information at the address given below from 8:30 to 3.30pm Mogadishu time (Excluding public holidays).
The Expressions of interest (EOI), CV with 3 reference persons and certificates of academic qualifications must be delivered (in person or by e-mail) in a written form (if not by e-mail) to the address below by 1st October 2021 at 12:00 Hours (Mogadishu Time) – marked clearly as “Senior Social Safeguards Specialist – Education for Human Capital Development Project”.
Human Capital Development Project Unit (HCDPU)
Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education
Zoope Area, Mogadishu
Federal Republic of Somalia