Website Wasaarada Waxbarashada Hiddaha Iyo Tacliinta Sare
Wasaarada Waxbarashada Hiddaha Iyo Tacliinta Sare
Federal Government of Somalia
Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education
Somalia Education for Human Capital Development Project
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST (REOI)
COUNTRY: Federal Republic of Somalia (FRS)
NAME OF PROJECT: Somalia Education for Human Capital Development Project
PROJECT ID: P172434 Grant No.: IDA-D8370
Assignment Title: Environmental Safeguards Specialist
Reference No.: SO-MOECHE-252723-CS-INDV
Place of assignment: Mogadishu Somalia
Submission deadline: 30th September, 2021
The Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) and Federal Member States (FMS) through the Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education has applied for financing from the World Bank towards the cost of Somalia Education for Human Capital Development Project. The project is designed to provide interventions to improve system effectiveness, instructional quality, and learning outcomes across all Federal Member States of Somalia.
The Project consists of the following four key components: (1) System Building – This component will focus on strengthening systems at the FGS and the FMS levels to implement Somalia Education Sector Strategic Plan (ESSP); (2) Expansion of access to quality schooling for the disadvantaged – This component will help Somalia roll out practical and economical ways to begin to redress the < 20% enrollment rate challenge faced by most districts in Somalia, among the world indicators; (3) Enhanced instruction quality – This component will develop a 2-year Teacher Professional Development Program (TPDP) that will be delivered using a blended learning approach and support 6,000 teachers to complete the program. Activities will include the design, development, testing, refinement and large-scale implementation of the TPDP; and (4) Project Management – Current capacity at all administrative levels, FGS, FMS levels, regional and district levels is weak. The project will finance key project staff at the FGS and FMS levels and consulting services to support the FGS to oversee school construction design, engineering, and supervision and capacity building to support FGS contract management.
The Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education (MoECHE) intends to hire a Consultant (Environmental Safeguards Specialist) to work in coordination with the project implementing agencies and Project Management Unit to provide an effective and sound environmental risk management for the project.
- Scope of Work and Responsibilities:
The Environmental Safeguards Specialist (“Consultant”) shall provide oversight and technical support to the Project Management Unit (PMU) in the preparation of environmental safeguards documentation and monitoring and reporting on environmental safeguards implementation. The specific responsibilities are as follows:
- Providing technical assistance to the project team and conduct environmental screening and scoping of project activities, in addition to regular environmental assessment and monitoring and reporting to both the Federal Government of Somalia and the World Bank.
- Developing and updating project-level environmental risk management instruments in close coordination with the Project Management Unit and with the Project’s Social Development Specialist
- Preparation and implementation of environmental framework instruments to meet the World Bank Environmental standards in close coordination with the PMU and monitoring compliance with the existing environmental mitigation measures for the project.
- Preparation of environmental assessment and monitoring reports as needed upon request from the PMU.
- Assisting Procurement Specialists in integrating environmental provisions into procurement.
- Monitoring the project grievance redress mechanism(s) at the FMS level and carrying out implementation addressing E&S related grievances/incidents.
- Undertaking additional duties as reasonably directed by the Project Manager for the better implementation of the Project.
- Selection Criteria:
Selection will be based on qualification and experience of the candidate and followed by an interview. The minimum qualification, experience and skills should include:
- Master’s degree in environmental sciences or related fields (including Ecology, Natural Resources Management, Geosciences, Social Sciences etc.)
- Minimum of five years relevant professional work experience in environmental impact assessments, environmental audits, legal and policy review, and formulation of project action plans for environmental safeguard management in projects financed by international donor agencies (preferably the World Bank)
- Conversant with relevant national and state environmental laws.
- Proven ability to advise and support project environmental and social assessment and preparation
- Excellent interpersonal, writing, and communication skills, ability to work in English is essential, as is knowledge of Somali language and culture
- Experience of working in conflict-affected countries is an advatage
- Knowledge of local dynamics and legal systems is an advantage.
- Familiarity and experience with WB Environmental and Social Framework is an advantage
- Knowledge and experience of ICT-based Office applications and tools (word processing, spreadsheets and data processing, and PowerPoint)
- Duration & Duty Station: Twelve (12) months with possibility for extension based on performance and requirement. The duty station is Mogadishu Somalia with travels to the Federal Member States.
- The Ministry of Culture and Higher Education (MoECHE) now invites eligible Individual Consultants to indicate their interest in providing the services. Interested Individual Consultants must submit the following: (i) Curriculum Vitae (CV) with 3 reference persons; (ii) copies of certificates of academic qualifications; and (iii) cover letter indicating that they are qualified to perform the services.
The detailed Terms of Reference (TOR) can be found at the following website: www.moe.gov.so or it can be forwarded to the applicant upon submission of application to the address indicated below.
- The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraphs 3.14 and 3.21 of the World Bank’s Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers: Procurement in Investment Financing Goods, Works, Non-Consulting and Consulting Services dated July 2016 and current edition (“Procurement Regulations”) setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest and eligibility.
- A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consultants selection method set out in the “Procurement Regulations”.
- Mode of submission of Applications and deadline:
Interested Consultants may obtain further information at the address given below from 8:30 to 3.30pm Mogadishu time (Excluding public holidays).
The Expressions of interest (EOI), CV with 3 reference persons and certificates of academic qualifications must be delivered (in person or by e-mail) in a written form (if not by e-mail) to the address below by 30th September 2021 at 12:00 Hours (Mogadishu Time) – marked clearly as “Environmental Safeguards Specialist – Education for Human Capital Development Project”.
Human Capital Development Project Unit (HCDPU)
Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education
Zoope Area, Mogadishu
Federal Republic of Somalia